Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Screenplays


I was looking around Drew's Script-o-Rama for the first time in quite a while.

I was actually looking for an early draft of Strange Days, just because I was looking at the published version at the book store earlier. I downloaded it, but I haven't looked it over yet. I'm curious if the version included is interestingly early or not.

I also noticed the early draft of The Thing From Another World, which I'll have to read one of these days.

Of course, I have downloaded versions of Carnivore by Larry and Andy Wachowski, Sprockets by Mike Myers, Jack Handey and Michael McCullers, Neuromancer by William Gibson (his screenplay for "Burning Chrome" is one of my favorite screenplay reads, but I've never found it online) and the notorious The Day The Clown Cried by Joan O'Brien and Charles Denton (How have I resisted this?) but not gotten to them. I've also only skimmed early versions of Total Recall by Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett and Steven Pressfield and Back To The Future by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale.

Obviously I can't recommend any of those, so I'll go ahead and throw these out for any dorks who want to read a screenplay -

Day Of The Dead by George A. Romero. A very good early draft that was severely cut apart for budget reasons. A very good read.

The Brannon Braga and Ronald D. Moore screenplay for Freddy vs. Jason is quite a clever take. It's too bad it wasn't used, I think, although I've met purists who felt it took too many liberties with "continuity". The Peter Briggs draft is noteworthy for being the worst screenplay I ever read.

You can check out this Freddy vs. Jason site for more details on this history. The news stops some time in 2001, but it's pretty easy to gather what happened from there, well, just using IMDb. It's kind of sad that after all that development of script after script, they couldn't have come up with something a little better than what they had.

For the record, the Lewis Abernathy and Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger drafts mentioned on that site are available online, although not linked from there. I have not yet read them.

And David Lynch's Ronnie Rocket is hard to beat.

If only I had more time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics