Monday, January 05, 2004

The Devil's Right Hand

I've been sneaking some of Cash Unearthed. Believe me, I'll lay my money down for an honest copy as soon as I can.

The cover of Steve Earle's "The Devil's Right Hand" absolutely rocks. Whoever plays guitar on that is freakin' amazing.

"Cindy" with Nick Cave can't help remind me of Rick Nelson performing it with Walter Brennan in Rio Bravo. It's a kind of cool compare and contrast, although I suppose, in fairness, I'm comparing and contrasting to a mental mixing of that version and the scrapped-single version available from the incredible Legacy box set. The other connection here, aside from this song, is that Johnny Cash wrote the song "Restless Kid" for Rick Nelson to perform in that movie, but it wasn't included for some reason, nor is it on the "Legacy" box set despite being a solid highlight of his career. Why don't people consult me on these things? It is on the Ricky Sings Again/Songs by Ricky two-fer CD, which may actually be his two best albums, as strong a pair of albums as any Rock & Roll artist released in the pre-Beatles era, but I'm way off on a tangent here...

I'm also groovin' a lot on Neil Young's "Pocahantas".

By the way, am I the only person who thinks that Neil Young's original recording would have really given the ending of Disney's Pocahantas some of the resonance that it lacked?

Of course, I think "Creeping Death" by Metallica would really improve the ending of Dreamworks' Prince Of Egypt, too...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics