Sunday, January 25, 2004

Spaghetti Westerns


I love 'em.

And I'm using them as a tremendous stylistic influence on my Space Opera project. I've been hunting down as many as I reasonably can, which isn't easy without money. Netflix is really limited in its selection, although not as limited as On 15th Video or my local Hollywood Video. Neither of the latter, in fact, have any Spaghetti Westerns without any Leone involvement - On 15th did have My Name Is Nobody and I have it out. I watched The Great Silence earlier in the week and it's fucking amazing.

However, Four Of The Apocalypse remains my favorite non-Leone Spaghetti, although there are a number of key examples, such as Cutthroats Nine, Face To Face and such that I'm still looking to see. One of these days, I'm just going to have to make the trip to Scarecrow Video and actually plunk down some change see a few.

For now, they're dribbling into my consciousness and I'm reading Christopher Frayling's Spaghetti Westerns: Cowboys and Europeans from Karl May to Sergio Leone and letting it all do it's job.

It's hard to resist all of the mind-bendingly exciting titles out there. Just check out this simple search of "Sartana" titles on IMDb for a quick example. Those movies can't possibly live up to those amazing titles, yet I can't help but hope.

2 comments:

Spaghetti Westerns said...

Great words on Spaghetti legends. Leone would be proud of it. Thanks.

Neil Sarver said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics