Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Conservative vs. Liberal Humor

Is it just me or do Republicans have no senses of humor?

I do my best to follow both liberal and conservative opinions. I read the conservative columns in the newspapers and consider each view in turn and decide how much I like what about what they're saying. There certainly are intelligent and well-spoken conservatives out there.

And certainly there's a plethora of liberal humorist who rely on "Bush is a big ol' poopy face!" as a punchline, which isn't that impressive, but there are any number with real senses of humor.

Conservatives tend to rely on "And he's wrong!" as a punchline, which, well, it isn't. Case in point, Dennis Miller. The guy used to be really funny. Now, not even a little. And Al Franken's right, Dennis always had a conservative streak, but it came out in jokes. Now, "He's wrong!"

Maybe losing his sense of humor made him a tightass and that's why he's a conservative now.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Humor is humor because in the midst of the punchline we find a bit of truth. So if you are liberal, you fail to see the humor in conservative jokes because you do not see the truth in it. I personally find Franken hard to stomach. So you laugh along with your like thinkers and I laugh along with mine. I believe there is a chasm between left and right ideologies and that there is little to no common ground on which to exchange ideas and so both sides resort to name calling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics