Thursday, March 25, 2004

More movies I've seen


I watched The Rundown last night. It's a lot of fun. The Rock is a very charming actor. I totally bought him as an action lead, and he has strong comic timing. I'll continue to check out his stuff.

I did, however, just skip a showing of his remake of Walking Tall. I had been considering it. I'm a big fan of the original with ol' Joe Don and the bigass stick. But someone recently posted this item to the Mobius Board - Walking Tall remake sets exciting precedent - and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Then, of course, I watched Lucio Fulci's Zombie, which is great as ever. The print on the DVD is indeed as dark and middle-of-the-road as they say and the commentary with Ian McCulloch is boring. It sounded like Mr. McCulloch is a charming fellow and a later commentary or documentary with him and other people could be informative. I hope the DVD fairies revisit this one soon.

Tonight I watched Pieces Of April. I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie that so well captured the nuance of inter-familial relationships. This was written and acted with amazing truth and subtlety. My only issue was with the DV shooting. I know the director, Peter Hedges, tried to make it work for him, but it still distracted me.

Katie Holmes has never been cuter, though. She's really starting a real career for herself, isn't she? That kicks ass!

Two notes:

I didn't know A Midnight Clear was out on DVD.

It looks like Kill Bill vol. 1 is coming out in a bare bones DVD. I remember Tarantino had talked of packing the two disks both up and then re-packing a third set of both movies with all-new stuff, as a treat for collectors. I was ambivilant and resigned on that. It looks like I'll just be waiting on a packed set of both movies.

Cool.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics