Friday, July 09, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11

Michael Moore has stirred up quite a storm on this one, so it seemed to be a movie not to miss, and it certainly is. There's a lot to think about, and everyone should certainly be watching and giving its points proper consideration.

According to My First Wild Week with "Fahrenheit 9/11"... by Michael Moore, the movie is hitting its obvious main target of Middle America with some force. I think Moore may be exaggerating things a bit to himself or just to us, but I don't think he's wrong.

I don't think it would be possible to watch this movie and truly believe that President Bush is a decent person. As Mark Evanier said in his review, Fahrenheit 9/11 by Mark Evanier, "I suspect a lot of the folks who are mad at Michael Moore don't know it (or won't admit it) but they're actually mad at Bush and his cohorts for leaving so many mudballs around for their opponents to hurl."

There is simply too much footage of Bush being chillingly flip about war and terrorism to believe that he is really a sincere caring president. There are, I'm sure, many people with many excuses, because they believe in his cause and want him to be a decent person, but after seeing the movie, you have to know somewhere deep inside yourself that he's not.

A lot of my problem came down to this... It's a film designed to raise question, not answer them. That's part of what's made it such an easy target for critics, who scream that its answers are false... Well, it doesn't really have answers, so it's an unfair criticism. Its questions are legitimate and very serious, though. Unfortunately, for me, they were questions I already wondered, so the movie seemed kind of all over the place.

That's not to say there wasn't a lot of powerful and/or funny moments. I'm glad I went, but I think, as a member of the choir, I would have been more compelled by further exploration of any one of the subjects brought up than I was by the shotgun approach used.

That said, I think Moore intended to speak outside the choir and help them to think about the questions he's raising, and, if he's right in his message, then maybe he's doing that.

I really, really hope so.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics