Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The Gospel Of Supply Side Jesus

The Gospel Of Supply Side Jesus by Al Franken and Don Simpson.

This is from Franken's brilliant new book, Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right, which I can't recommend enough.

I'm in my thirties. Like most people, I spent most of my twenties growing more and more conservative, which never made me more than moderate, I admit, but the point remains, I was pretty centrist.

Like many others, I've found it difficult to stay in the middle with a president like this. The right is using increasingly ugly methods to sell their increasingly ugly wares to the American public. Franken's book makes a strong, clear, honest and quite funny case on how the right is destroying debate in this country. You shouldn't have to be as far left as the organized right has forced me, and others, to move, to see, with an open mind, how these insidiously dishonest people work as your reading the book.

All you have to do is read. You don't have to agree with Franken's politics, just understand that lying and bullying isn't a productive way to hold a national debate.

It's not. Unfortunately, we have the left moving there, too, which doesn't make me too happy, but I can't help wondering how they could expect to win any other way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics