Thursday, August 19, 2004

Ok, I finally saw Safe

I've meant to see Safe by Todd Haynes, for, like, ever now, and now I have. It was definitely worthwhile, although I'm not sure it wasn't good to wait until I was ready to see it.

It's a smart and compelling vision of a woman who either has a mysterious illness or a psychosomatic problem that she continues to exacerbate with further study. The movie shrewdly never makes it entirely clear which. It certainly has some interesting, complex looks at the different people who surround her, and Julianne Moore's performance is absolutely brilliant.

Honestly, I don't know what exactly I think of the movie, but I know that I continue to think about the movie.

Here's Roger Ebert's Review. He says much the same stuff, but he says it better than I do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics