Tuesday, September 07, 2004

"Abarat" by Clive Barker


Ok, I'm a little past half-way finished with the first of Clive Barker's Abarat books, and it is just blowing my mind. Absolutely amazing.

It's supposedly a children's book, but I'm having no trouble absorbing myself in this wonderfully imaginitive world... In fact, I'm having a great time of it. It's illustrated with the most fantastic paintings. I've, of course, chosen one of the creepy ones to show here, but, believe me, they're not all - or even mostly - that way.

It's the story of Candy Quackenbush from Chickentown, Minnesota, who finds herself led away from her mundane life into the Islands Of Time, in which each island represents an hour of the day and all that we associate with that hour. Clive Barker shows even more imagination than usual in capturing the people, places and creatures of this world.

Honestly, I feel overwhelmed by the task of trying to capture the pure awe of this book. Just click the Abarat link. Check out the paintings and the concept. Then go to your local bookseller or library and get a copy.

You'll be glad you did.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics