Thursday, September 16, 2004

Shaun of the Dead


Ok, I got to go to a free preview of Shaun Of The Dead. I may pay to see it again.

It was so frickin' awesome, I don't even know what to say! It's hysterically funny, first and foremost. The set-up and the characters are just spot-on. I don't even know what to say past that. It's the best new zombie movie since... Freakin' I don't know when...

I could take this opportunity to give examples of how the zombie film it owes the most to is indeed George Romero's Dawn Of The Dead, with its pointed social references and biting satire of contemporary culture, but none of that will improve your first viewing. I could bring up its resemblances to Dan O'Bannon's anarchic Return Of The Living Dead with its younger, working class cast...

All of that it stuff for you to think about once the lights come back up. For now, you should just see it, and be ready to laugh. I'm honestly not sure what the last time I laughed that much in a movie theater was. I certainly don't know the last time I've so felt like quoting a movie. Mind you, I'm a Gen-Xer, but I almost never quote movies...

Hell, I don't remember even quoting Tarantino to any extent, and there was a time when every other word out of most Gen-X movie fans mouths were Tarantino inspired...

"They were a little bit bitey."
"We're coming to get you, Barbara!"
"Somebody kill the Queen!"

Great, great stuff. Go now!

No, really, now.

Oh, the theater's closed. Boo fuckin' hoo! Go stand outside and wait for it to open!

What the hell are you still reading for?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics