Saturday, November 20, 2004

Anyone who knows me well enough...


... knows I have a deep, deep dorky sentimental streak.

So when I said that I loved Secondhand Lions, it wouldn't come as any surprise.

Again, words fail me.

My favorite movie is A Clockwork Orange, which is, at its core, a story of why men should have their own souls and make their own mistakes. Number three, as the list is usually arranged, is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, which is about a lot of things, including how and when to stand up for what, but most famously about when to believe in what and what ultimately matters as truth.

Secondhand Lions is tied into those themes that are apparently essential to who I am. I'm not sure if it's an old man's tearjerker or a boy's tearjerker, but its something like that.

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics