Friday, December 03, 2004

1602


I just read Neil Gaiman's 1602, and was quite pleased.

There's a wonderful quote from Neil Gaiman in the afterword, "People bought it, and they argued about it. Most of them liked it. Some of them didn't, and those that didn't really didn't. There was, I learned, from both sides a definite consensus that it was not Sandman, which I found rather a relief, as I had been trying quite hard not to write Sandman."

It's a wonderful book. I need to read it again one day soon, and enjoy the story fully for what it is. The problem with novelty concepts - like the Marvel Universe in 1602, say - is that no matter how excellent they are, and this definitely is, that they are hard to read without watching the novelty, "Oh, it's The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, so that means... Ah..."

Anyway, I think it's one of those stories that wasn't benefitted a lot by coming out in single issue form. It opens slowly and kind of unfolds its story and the underlying richness. I really liked it a whole lot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics