Wednesday, December 29, 2004

300


Being ridiculously behind in comic reading, I just finally got around to reading Frank Miller's 300.

I couldn't help craving the chance to make a movie of it. It would be like the big epic action movie without any of the boring pretense that crush so many of them. Not to mention, Miller's drawing show such attention to ethnic detail that it would be absolutely inspiring to make a movie like this with a cast of people of Greek and Persian descent.

I felt a little gleam of sadness, thinking that the reception of Troy and Alexander might kill any effort to make one.

Then I thought briefly, that's good for me, right? It's not like I have the clout today - or even will tomorrow - to get a project like that off the ground.

Well, as it happens, there is one in the works. Zack Snyder, director of the Dawn of the Dead remake, is attached as the director. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I didn't think the directing in that was especially strong, although a lot of it did have a good energy, and he did sound like a total putz on the commentary. But it might have been strong enough that if he grows from there...

Maybe the tepid reaction to the current epics will still keep it from getting off the ground, and I'll be able to keep it on my list with Solomon Kane, of things that maybe, just maybe, won't get off the ground before I do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics