Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Fun Latin

I love little fun Latin jokes.

The Lusty Lady here in Seattle always has fun little puns on its sign. They're nearly always better than most of its kind, but never better than when they have the two Latin jokes, Carpe Carnum ("Seize the flesh") and Veni Vidi Veni ("I came, I saw, I came").

So, I was thrilled while reading The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter by David Colbert to find this bumper sticker, Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Assuming you're not up on your Latin, it translates as "If you can read this bumper sticker, you are both very well educated and much too close".

Then I found this site, Fun Latin. If you're as big a dork as me, unlikely as that may be, you may also enjoy phrases like Credo Elvem ipsum etian vivere. ("I think that Elvis is still alive"), Osculare pultem meam! ("Kiss my grits!"), Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? ("How much wood would a woodchuck chuck is a woodchuck could chuck wood?"), and, most importantly, Age. Fac ut gaudeam. ("Go ahead. Make my day.").

Yep.

Super dorky fun.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics