Friday, December 24, 2004

Rankin-Bass Christmas


Like many my age, I'm a huge fan of the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials I grew up on.

My favorite, as I mentioned before, is Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town. It's simply wonderful in every way. A charming story with a full soundtrack of killer tunes.

Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer is the popular favorite, and with good reason, but it seems to show the beginning of the process. The animation is more sluggish and the tunes aren't all up to the later standard.

I definitely prefer the stop-motion specials, although I have a deep soft spot for 'Twas The Night Before Christmas with Joel Gray and George Gobel. It's interesting how the traditionally animated specials look a bit like they were animated from designs for stop-motion characters.

It's also interesting what a dick the Rudolph... and 'Twas... Santa Claus is, when you view it from adult eyes.

Most interesting to me was learning that the great Jack Davis used to work for Rankin-Bass. Apparently he didn't work on the Christmas specials, but did on a number of others, including Mad Monster Party.

Christmas is fun!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics