Wednesday, January 19, 2005

"Battlestar Galactica" and such...

I spent too much of my evening looking for the Daredevil director's cut. Apparently none of the stores in my neighborhood have it available for rental, so it was basically a waste of too much of my fucking evening.

I've avoided watching the damnable movie for two years, so why now? I'm not sure why I got caught up in this tonight. I'm pretty mad at myself, though, in a way.


I did end up watching the new Battlestar Galactica mini-series, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought they did a solid job on updating most of the elements, from the look and feel to just the way the characters themselves were handled. And mostly I really respected how much they did to add some genuine gravity to the story. It really is about an apocalypse and this doesn't back down from that. Having actors of the caliber of Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell really allowed the to do that wonderfully.

I'm still basically sketchy on the android Cylons and the new Baltar. Both have the clang of bad serial writing (and, yes, I mean as opposed to good serial writing).

It certainly doesn't work on its own. It will need a solid run of the new Battlestar Galactica series to make it what it wants to be, but that certainly could be something cool.

It definitely made me wish I had the Battlestar Galactica - The Complete Epic Series DVDs around to watch.

I have a really full plate at this moment, but that should go onto my rental list soon, unless the library takes me up on my request...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics