Sunday, January 09, 2005

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon


Ok, to wash the bad taste of Troy out of our mouths, we watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I've been meaning to watch the dubbed version ever since reading about how much care and love Ang Lee had put into its creation. It certainly is interesting to watch that way once. I think I got a different feel for how the story unfolds, but I don't see myself choosing to watch it that way again. I felt oddly detached in a way that I hadn't in previous viewings.

It is a beautiful movie. It also shows how artfully a filmmaker can avoid showing nudity onscreen without awkward camera placement, body positioning or editing (all of which were used with abandon by Peterson), and Chow Yun-Fat and Michele Yeoh generate more heat sitting calmly at a table sitting speaking in respectful tones than Orlando Bloom and Diane Kruger do when they're fucking.

Anyway...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Novel and Song reports, "Ang Lee will make the pre-sequel of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The name of the movie will be Treasured Sword, Golden Hairpin. The story will combine episode two and three."

I find no reference to this anywhere else, though, although I hope there's truth to it. I'd love at least see him re-explore martial arts and historical Chinese fiction at some point. He is finishing up Brokeback Mountain from a screenplay by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, so that sounds like its own kind of promising.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics