Saturday, January 08, 2005

Usagi Yojimbo

I'm a dork.

Ok, I admit the obvious fact of my geekiness with no problem. But apparently I'm a dorky geek, at that.

I just barely started reading Stan Sakai's wonderful long-running series Usagi Yojimbo.

Now, I've been aware of it for a very, very long time. I've always meant to read it. Part of the problem was that every time I'd browse through the comic store, I'd find volume 39 or some damn thing, and think I needed to find a better starting place.

Finally, I did read Usagi Yojimbo, Book 1: The Ronin, and was very impressed. Then having had to skip ahead at one point to Usagi Yojimbo, Book 6: Circles, I discovered that Stan Sakai is in fact a true master of giving needed background to keep up on the current story, and feel a bit foolish.

It's a remarkable series. It's both a genuinely charming funny animal book - a true rarity in this day and age - and a fascinating and genuine samurai epic. Who'd have even thought those could be blended?

This not only manages to blend them, but makes it feels obvious. I'm now no longer sure how it is that Stan Sakai's name isn't shouted off the roof of every geek in the world.

Remarkable stuff.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics