Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Church

Michele Soavi is best known for his remarkable film Dellamorte Dellamore (released in the U.S. under the rather artless title "Cemetery Man").


After that, I believe, his most well known film, in the U.S., is The Church. This film is ultimately not as rich in character as the later film, but shows the same remarkable visual style and gift for mood. The Church is not the place to come for interesting characters or a sensible storyline. It's all about striking images and mood.

For me, on this day, that's exactly what I wanted. I'm contemplating how to make my short look and feel, whenever I am actually able to make it, and something like this, where that's so much the focus, was a treat for me. It's definitely a turn off your brain and go along for the ride kind of movie, but it really is quite a ride...

The plot is some weirdness that involves Catholics and the usual blend of real and imagined history to suit the story. It would have been smarter to not be so reminiscent of Monty Python and the Holy Grail right off the bat - with the first speaking part both looking and sounding like Terry Gilliam - but once it moves into the modern world, the camera work, use of light and painterly sense of aethetics are wonderfully creepy and fascinating.

I'm saying the same thing over and over again, so I'll bid you all good night.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics