Saturday, February 19, 2005

Ju-On and The Grudge


I disturbed my sleep by watching Ju-On last night. As I've mentioned before, I have not seen The Grudge, the American remake by director Takashi Shimizu.

I've discussed in the past how I know my feelings and expectations of horror movies are different than most of the people I know. There's something about the environment that I'm naturally drawn to and intrigued by. This movie is all about that mood. It lives in the creep zone. It slides from story to story as if they were a series of shorts, waiting to slowly move out and show the bigger picture...

I'm not sure how the American remake can possibly recapture all of what takes place, but I am even more intrigued to see how it tries. I'm still definitely down with the idea of waiting for the unrated version that's supposed to show up soon enough down the road.

Ju-On itself is original and compelling. It also gave me that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach that so few horror movies manage to give me these days, so it deserves a lot of credit there. I'm also still spending a lot of time today still thinking about it.

I've got some special features to check out, but I'm definitely pleased with this one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics