Friday, February 04, 2005

Steve Slaton, radio, etc.

A substantial majority of the reason I'm so fucking disgusted about modern commercial radio is how much I loved it growing up. Today, I spoke to Steve Slaton the other day. I grew up listening to him on Seattle's Best Rock, back when it deserved the name. He was really friendly, and it just made me remember how much I did love the radio.

I kept wanting to tell him that I've been quoting him for 20 years. The first time I heard "Drive" by The Cars, Steve put it on. He just said, "Here's the new song by The Cars. It sounds a little bit like Andy Williams on acid."

Or something like that. I'm not sure why that's stuck in my mind after 20 years, but it has.

I chickened out and didn't say anything. I'm not sure why.

I wish I had now. I'd like to somehow not just tell the people making shit radio now that they are killing the spirit of America, but also tell the people who make or, at least, made great radio how wonderful they've made my life and how much joy they've given me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics