Saturday, February 05, 2005

Tobe Hooper's Mortuary

Tobe Hooper's Toolbox Murders, a nominal remake of 1978's The Toolbox Murders, releases on DVD this March. It's the first Tobe Hooper movie I've been genuinely excited for in quite some time. Word on the street is that it becomes very surreal and has a nice Alice In Wonderland quality. I'll be seeing it as soon as I can.

But what I'm truly geeked up about is Mortuary, which is supposed to have a really wonderful Lovecraftian quality... Well, ok, it hasn't been finished yet, so the "supposed to be" is all just hype, but still...

Tobe Hooper's one of those guys who hasn't lived up to his full potential in a long time. I think the controversy over his directoral role on Poltergeist - Oh, come on people, he fucking directed it! - and the studio butchering Lifeforce, I think he lost the cockiness he needed to really fuck with an audience but good.

The stuff he's working on has been getting some of the first really good buzz he's gotten in years, though, so I'm very hopeful he's back on track.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics