Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Two Glorious Scoundrels


Apparently, in Germany, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is called "Zwei Glorreiche Halunken" (or "Two Glorious Scoundrels").

Now, I only kind of get why they went with that instead of "Der Gut, Die Schlecht und Das Hässlich", even though all other translations seem to have gone with that - translated, of course, from "Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo". Certainly the German distributor believed that concept would not appeal to the German public of 1967. Fine.

But why is it Zwei? I mean, the movie is clearly about drei - ... err... three - dudes. The original title touches on that, but even without that, well, watch the movie. It's about three dudes. Did they not consider one of them a scoundrel? If not, which? Did they not consider one of them glorious? If not, which? It leads to a confusing exclusion. The German poster art leaves off Eli Wallach (Tuco/The Ugly), but he seems to me the most gloriously scoundrelly of the three, which makes it all the more confusing to me.

Anyway, I'm off to watch some glorious scoundrels. You take care of each other, ok?

For the record, I used made up genders for the purpose of the German translation - I just put them in the order "der, die, das" as I learned them in class - so they're probably all three wrong.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics