Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Shock


I watched Shock, the last film by the great Mario Bava, tonight. I've managed to never get around to watching it until now, I'm not sure why.

It introduces a very creepy concept, a dead husband possessing his young son to act out his sexual jealousy at her new marriage, but ultimately kind of drops the ball on that for something far less intriguing. I'm not sure why.

The English dubbing is unusually bad for this and so we switched over to Italian, despite Anchor Bay's arrogant and obnoxious decision not to include subtitles. It works amazingly well that way, with Bava remaining a master of visual storytelling until the end. I certainly never had a moment of wondering what was being said and the delivery of the lines was much more convincing.

It was worth watching, but I think I was in the mood for more madness or at least more shock.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics