Monday, May 02, 2005

Blood Sugar Sex Magik


I don't remember the last time I listened to Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Ok, well, I'm listening to it right now, but I don't recall when before that. It's funny, I never was particularly sold on the hits. Sure, "Under The Bridge" actually was a damn fine record, but I'll probably never fully appreciate that ever again. But "Suck My Kiss" and "Give It Away" are weaker tracks ultimately.

And, no one with a penis actually really loves "Breaking The Girl". Sure, there are penis owners who will claim to in order to impress non-penis owners (and, let's be clear, there are no gay men trying to impress other gay men with their love of it either, there's some contaminant in estrogen or something that makes this song work its full, er, magik), but there is not a single male member of the species who actually feels incredibly moved by that song. Sorry, guys, it had to be called out. Luckily, you've all probably fucked and left whoever you impressed by "loving" that song anyway and are now onto some more modern sensitive alternative ballad, right?

Traditionally my favorite song was "Mellowship Slinky in B Major", which does still rock, but damn! I was sure a pretentious nitwit who bought into some simple minded pretentious nitwittery. That all sounded pretty fucking cool and smart to me, back in the day. Now, it sounds like a bunch of pseudo-intellectual bullshit trying to pass itself off as a kind of sweaty male Iron John beatnik.

Luckily, "Apache Rose Peacock" and "Funky Monks" basically hold their weight, although they do sound a little bit sillier with a couple more years on me. Luckily the musical skills of John Frusciante, Chad Smith and Mike B the Human Flea as well as the vocal stylings of Anthony Kiedis still carry the day. It certainly makes a body want to move to the beat and give in to the funky truth under the faux wisdom of the lyrics.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics