Monday, May 02, 2005

Cry like a boy

Ok, I took my cheap potshot at women in the war of taste in my last post. I'm not going to take it back, but I will acknowledge that it's just part of some peculiar divide. I belong to the gender which can snigger every time we hear "Big Balls" by AC/DC and "Big Ten Inch Record" by Aerosmith. I not only acknowledge this, but take a certain peculiar pride in it.

Hey, I'm a guy, it's what we do best.

But there is that small window of movies guys watch and weep over. We rarely admit it, but it's true. The most famous example is Brian's Song, which isn't really the best film in this quiet genre, but probably because its about football and stars two of the coolest guys on the planet at the time, its the one that's quietly acknowledged by even the most most testosterone ragin' of us.


My personal favorite of these is Robert Benton's quiet Nobody's Fool. It's the kind of thing I watch in awe that I could never create anything like that. That's humbling in some way, but ultimately uplifting. I love the honesty of this quirky little group of misfits as they struggle for some mundane level of success.

It's got great lines like, "You know my feelings about arming morons. You arm one, you've got to arm them all, otherwise it wouldn't be good sport."

But mostly its just about playing the odds that the people you care about will come through someday, and, yeah, that's just sweet and beautiful and makes my heart melt.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics