Monday, May 02, 2005

Stephen King and music

In his most recent Entertainment Weekly column, Stephen King did a pseudo-mixtape as with my little "Your Ass Is Grass" columns. It really is a cool way of sharing.

Sharing is good, kids.

I've always enjoyed Stephen King's taste in music. He's turned me on to a number of things over the years. More often he's just made note of things I love including quite a few that feel a little like being in a cool guy club with Steve for knowing.

Recently on the Kingdom Hospital commentary, he turned me onto "Red Dragon Tattoo" by Fountains Of Wayne, which is a nice little pop song with nicely clever lyrics and a killer hook, and The Gourds' brilliant cover of "Gin and Juice".

(The single for "Red Dragon Tattoo" has a really nice cover of Rick Nelson's "Today's Teardrops", which puts them straight up near the top of the cool list for me.)

Anyway, I haven't gotten around to finding all of the songs he put on there. I did listen to "We Can't Make It Here" by James McMurtry and the Heartless Bastards, which is available at their site, and he describes as possibly the best American protest since "Masters Of War". I haven't thought of what I think proves that wrong yet.

He also suggests "City of the Damned" by The Gothic Archies, which is oddly genius, if only because it sounds so exactly like what The Gothic Archies should sound like. I need to hear more of them.

Now, I'm going to tangent and stop talking about Steve's suggestion, instead of explaining why Steve's wrong about The Gothic Archies being heavy metal or suggesting that it might be possible that by buying Judas Priest's cover of "Diamonds and Rust" now I could be the first on my block, even though it was first released on the third album in 1977, but seriously...

"Afternoon Delight" played on fucking AM radio. I listened to it on the radio with my mom, and I must quote here-

"Started out this morning feelin' so polite.
I always thought a fish could not be caught who wouldn't bite,
But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might try nibblin'
A little afternoon delight."

What in the fuck? These are lyrics that would've made the old school Prince proud to have written. Fuck me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics