Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Grudge


I saw the unrated version of The Grudge. I'd never seen the "PG-13" version, although I did see Ju-on, so that's my basic point for comparison. From what I can tell on the IMDb comparison, the cuts made for the "PG-13" could only have made it a less effective movie.

Probably watching it the day after Dark Water, which is probably my favorite J-Horror Movie now, and it suffers more by comparison more than it should have.

I think it's wonderful how much concentration it expected from an American audience and just how much of the dialogue was actually in Japanese. It was generally easier to follow than Ju-on for me, but I think that wasn't better (or worse) filmmaking as much as just the English language dialogue. I was quite surprised how well it kept it's J-Horror texture, even with all the American actors. It's staying in my head, which is a good sign, but I'm not sure whether I'll have more to say.

Lacking my weird mix of comparisons, I'd definitely watch it. The ideas in it are quite interesting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics