Friday, August 05, 2005

Carnivàle


I finally watched Carnivàle: The Complete First Season.

I have no good excuse why I haven't watched it before now. I remember watching the promos before it came out and seeing that cast: Michael J. Anderson, Adrienne Barbeau, Clancy Brown, Clea Duvall, Amy Madigan, Ralph Waite, etc. It's a spooky supernatural drama about a traveling carnival in during the depression. Seriously, if ever a show was made just for me to watch it, it was this... even moreso than my beloved Deadwood, if you want the truth.

Ok, so, that's not to say I liked it better than "Deadwood", in the end. I don't think I like anything better than "Deadwood".

But this is truly in that league. It's a cast of quirky character actors, used to build a solid groundwork of truth, so as the peculiarities build, they, if anything, make more sense than the mundanities of before. In fact, I'm sure in selling and promoting this series, the biggest problem HBO came to in promoting it is just how slow the beginning is. It's a show that rewards patience and attention, which is something that we as Americans are in no way used to from any of our entertainments, least of all serial drama.

I'm not sure what all can be said. It's a brave and challenging show, which is, I suppose why it's been cancelled. I'm really excited to see the second season, even though I'm sure there's almost no hope for more...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics