Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Digital Backlot

I'm actually thinking that I may plot out a digital backlot idea when I have the time to dedicate to a new creative venture. I reckon we'll be seeing a lot of pseudo-Philip K. Dick bullshit and Dark City clones (not to speak ill of Dick or Dark City themselves, mind you), so I'll avoid that type of thing. I also suspect that "Star Maxwell" would come across a bit too Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, not to mention the fact that I still see it as series and as using traditional animation.

My thinking right now is that I'll try to find a collaborator early, before I have anything I'm attached to on my own. I think creativity can be really work it's magic best when brainstormed around in a couple of heads or more. That's what I'd like to do... just push the envelope of creativity.

I look at the people I admire most creatively, Dr. Seuss, A. E. van Vogt, H.P. Lovecraft, E.E. "Doc" Smith, Robert E. Howard, Jack Kirby, Alan Moore, Clive Barker, Hayao Miyazaki, J.K. Rowling, as well as Philip K. Dick, and I see that it isn't what they did necessarily that impresses me, but rather the boundlessness of the imagination they used to do it.

Film has rarely been able to match that... Look, I'm a movie guy and that list had exactly one filmmaker and he works in animation... for a number of reasons. The key two, budget has always restricted what can be done and once you cross the budget to lessen that restriction, commercial necessity restricts it even more.

Obviously it's not the first thing on my agenda, but it's definitely on there.

For now, technical details of the movie and spend my writing time with rewriting "The Hunt", to keep the inpiration on the moment.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics