Tuesday, August 30, 2005

My Lord Spoke Unto Me

Create something. I don't care what it is. I don't care if you create it and decide not to do anything with it - throw it away - but just get into the spirit of creating something. It's so important for your development as as a person. It's important for the species because wonderful accidents and and happenstances take place when creativity is born. As a participant on this planet, I just think it's kind of important. And religiously, this may be a little syllogistic, but if you believe that there is a God and that God created man in his own likeness then he created man as a creator and that is the greatest homage that you can give, to create something besides havoc.

- Sid Haig

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Neil, you're basically a nonbeliever, what it is this you're writing about? And didn't you just go to some fantastic concert, why are you quoting a b-movie actor?

Well, let me tell you. I am a believer, as it happens. I believe in something true, something real, something I can see and feel and most importantly something I can hear.

Mine is a creator.

He speaks to me in words that sound so deliciously simple on first listen but hum through richer and fuller meanings which each listen. I believe in Brian Wilson.

Before the show, I watched Beautiful Dreamer by David Leaf, which I believe is the single greatest documentary on the creative process ever made. It just says everything there is, in my opinion.

To say the concert was amazing says nothing. In fact, no series of mere words can express what it is to sit eight rows back and be in the presence of true greatness. The being there, being in that moment is truly transcendent.


Watching the whole of SMiLE being performed. Remembering watching An American Band long ago and seeing the footage of "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" and the clear association between that recording and the fall of SMiLE and Brian's personal downfall. To see him triumphantly standing over a full band performing the number was one of the most beautiful things I've experienced in this life.

Brian Wilson is God. Or he fulfills every need I have from a God, which seems the same thing to me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics