Thursday, August 04, 2005

Weird Day

I saw a group of Asian tourists this afternoon outside the Jack In The Box. They were taking turns getting their picture next to the giant Ultimate Club Sandwich in the window. I'm not sure what that was about.


I did some reading, too. For those who don't know, my favorite superheroes (or costumed vigelantes, for those who prefer) are Oliver Queen/Green Arrow and Roy Harper/Speedy/Arsenal. Someday I may write an extensive explanation of why, but today is not that day.

Anyway, in order to avoid dragging a bunch of single issues out of storage, I got Quiver written by Kevin Smith and The Archer's Quest written by Brad Meltzer from the library. I think Kevin improved greatly between Daredevil and "Quiver", but both feel like they needed a good tightening, although my preference for Sounds of Violence, not apparently conventional wisdom, however, shows my belief that his growth as a comic writer is ongoing.

My point in this drawn-out explanation is that "The Archer's Quest" is absolutely fantastic. One of the best Green Arrow stories - as such, for me, one of the best superhero stories - ever written, right up with Denny O'Neil and Mike Grell at their peaks. The fact that it was a really strong Roy story was, amazingly, just gravy. This was one of those series that was getting better and better with every storyline. And then Judd Winick came along... and made it so unbelievably bad and out of character that I dropped it like a rock one issue.

I dropped the "Green Arrow" title. That takes some shit writing, let me tell you. I read the "Crossroads" storyline.

Anyway, on to less geeky territory...

We got a late start on the lake and then spent a long evening swimming out further along the lake than either of us can recall doing ever before.

Then we went to Wedding Crashers, partly as a lark. It's really, really funny. In fact, it's so funny that I almost forgot how formulaic the plot itself was. Luckily, I didn't much care, since I was laughing too much. I'm not sure there's much else to say on it. It was indeed the funniest Vince Vaughn performance yet... at least to me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics