Sunday, August 21, 2005

Why are so many Christians morons?

No, seriously.

I started watching Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ that so many supposed believers found so moving and I - a decided non-believer - found so many things wrong with...


No, not the insipid Hollywood moments that were purely invented, like Jesus inventing a tall table to the bemusement of his mother.

I'm talking stuff that can quickly be contradicted with scripture.

Matthew 26:34-35: "'I tell you the truth,' Jesus answered, 'this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.' But Peter declared, 'Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.' And all the other disciples said the same."

Clearly this was said in front of the other disciples, as they speak the same as Jesus and yet Gibson has Jesus speak this to Peter in confidence.

Mark 14:43-46: "Just as he was speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, appeared. With him was a crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests, the teachers of the law, and the elders. Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: 'The one I kiss is the man; arrest him and lead him away under guard.' Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, 'Rabbi!' and kissed him. The men seized Jesus and arrested him. Then one of those standing near drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear."

Why Gibson chose to have the cheesy scene where Jesus acknowledges who he is and then a chastised Judas runs forth to "betray" him after the fact, I'll never understand. This seems entirely less dramatic.

Matthew 26:69: "Now Peter was sitting out in the courtyard, and a servant girl came to him. 'You also were with Jesus of Galilee,' she said."

For some reason, this takes place in the temple.

Mind you, I think fans of Italian genre cinema with no knowledge of the Bible would have much to celebrate here. This was the most obviously loving tribute to the style begun by Mario Bava than Martin Scorsese's Cape Fear or Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Someone involved - Gibson, cinematographer Caleb Deschanel or both - is clearly a genuine fan.

But even as a guy who doesn't believe The Bible is The Truth, but merely a kick ass story, I'm finding this incredibly lacking in the accuracy department. How anyone who think The Bible is The Truth can suffer through this Hollywood bastardization is completely beyond me. They're goddamn morons is the best I can figure!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics