Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bob Denver, RIP

Bob Denver, TV's Gilligan, Dead at 70 by John Rogers.

I only sometimes get around to these little tributes when people pass away. Somehow me joining the chorus of people explaining why Marlon Brando was important seems pointless.

Bob Denver, RIP by Mark Evanier does a better job personalizing and bringing some of his lesser known works into light than I could ever hope to. It's a charming article and I recommend it, even if you think you don't care.

For my part, I'm going to say that I'm firmly convinced that his performance as Maynard G. Krebs on "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" is the first time a TV series regular was portrayed as a pot smoker, even if it wasn't, of course, actually mentioned in the text of the show. I think that deserves a bigger place in history than "Gilligan's Island", although that is not destined to be.

He was the second Allan Felix, replacing Woody Allen himself, in the Broadway run of "Play It Again, Sam". He held a "laser sword" before Mark Hamill (check here). He deserves recognition for many things beyond his role as the first mate of the S.S. Minnow, but at least he does get recognition.

Farewell, good buddy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics