Sunday, October 30, 2005

Gaiman, Whedon and Writing

Interview: Neil Gaiman and Joss Whedon by Lev Grossman has a lot of good bits in there on geeks and "family" movies and whatnot...


The thing I feel most obliged to share is this Gaiman quote, "Somebody said that writers are like otters. And otters are really hard to train. Dolphins are easy to train. They do a trick, you give them a fish, they do the trick again, you give them a fish. They will keep doing that trick until the end of time. Otters, if they do a trick and you give them a fish, the next time they'll do a better trick or a different trick because they'd already done that one. And writers tend to be otters. Most of us get pretty bored doing the same trick. We've done it, so let's do something different."

As I ponder the idea of rewriting "The Hunt", I'm finding myself in something like that space.

And in more than one way...

First of all, I'm feeling like writing something entirely different than a horror movie. The idea of trying out comedy sounds like a really fun plan right now. I'm really enjoying the idea of the nudist camp movie, partly because of everything being completely everything that Lakeside is not.


I've been listening to Something Like This... The Bob Newhart Anthology, which is amazing to study how he manages to squeeze laughs out of ideas in such a sly and clever way. I'm thinking of getting some more comedy stuff and probably watch some great sitcoms in weeks to come, see if I can't find 10-15 minutes worth of funny out of myself.

Secondly, Lakeside has in many ways been instructive to what I want to accomplish. I got an email from an investor, I'm undecided if it's legit or not, and started thinking about what I could do to rush forward a feature to get funded if it was legit. Ultimately, I find myself thinking that if I'm going to make "The Hunt" into something I can excited enough to put the huge amount more effort toward making it than I've had to for the short, I'd need to make a lot of changes. "The Hunt" was so written to a John Carpenter sensibility, which I was very excited about when I was writing, and not nearly enough to what I'd really want to do myself.

I'm not sure where this leaves me, except that hopefully the nudist colony short won't take a lot of writing time and I can get back to my big rewrite soon afterward. Maybe build a small group of shorts to impress with... or something... One step at a time, I figure.

Have fun, kids.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics