Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Galactica


I watched the pilot episode of the original Battlestar Galactica, "Saga of a Star World", for the first time in a very long time.

I'll probably have more thoughts as I continue to watch the series, but here are the ones that stand out:

I remember when this show was first on, when I was 7 or 8, I couldn't keep track of who was Apollo and who was Starbuck. As an adult, I realize this is because they have the exact same hair. Why couldn't they have done something about that? I still find it distracting.

Has anyone ever mentioned the remarkable similarity between the ridiculous and impractical humans-as-batteries in the mines Carillon in the silly but fun-spirited "Battlestar Galactica" series and the ridiculous and impractical humans-as-batteries on Earth in the silly but dull-witted and plodding Matrix movies?

I think, from what I've seen, that the new Battlestar Galactica is much stronger dramatically and richer in character and culture, and I see how the changes to the Cylons was a part of that restructuring. But, seriously, the classic Cylons still give me a big fat geek boner that these new ones never have.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics