Friday, October 07, 2005

Semi-connected Thoughts

I've had "Brown Sugar" by The Rolling Stones going through my head all week.


Y'see, I've been watching The Wire - The Complete First Season, which is amazing... but the point is there is a moment where a character speaks the lines, "Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields, sold in a market down in New Orleans."

Now, the point of this story is that most people have heard "Brown Sugar" 500 times but still have no real relationship to those words. Which is, I'm sure, true. For me, my head immediately starts singing, "Scarred old slaver, y'know he's doin' alright. Hear him whip the women, just around midnight!"

The other The Wire related story of my week is that I watched two episodes, then watched Maniac Cop then two more episodes a couple of nights ago. Let's make clear that while Maniac Cop is not a great moment in cinema, it suffers especially in comparison to the wonderful police writing on "The Wire".


Which led me to the desire to see a new version of Maniac Cop written by David Simon. That would be my ideal work for the world. In fact, not that literally, but something like that, the three-dimensionally written, artistically minded trash film is exactly what I aspire to a career making.

Anyway, I've got to run. I've been sleeping too late... bad, bad insomnia this week. I haven't had this in a quite a long time, it's a little disconcerting.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics