Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Art, Comics and the Greatest Book In The World


Yesterday, I read Superman/Batman: Supergirl by Jeph Loeb and Michael Turner. I must say, I like Jeph Loeb's writing, but not nearly as much as I hate Michael Turner's art.

I hate this shitty, nothing to do with human proportions drawing.

I remember when I, like most 11-year old geeks out there, I studied over How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way by Stan Lee and John Buscema. They explain how many heads the average person is and how a Marvel character is however many heads taller. I always thought that seemed lame - I do now ever moreso - but the Rob Liefelds and Michael Turners have taken that to such a ridiculous extreme that it makes it difficult to read the damn book.

And this doesn't even include the fact that he can only draw two faces, a male face and a female face that look exactly the same... and all of his women look like they have fake boobs. Should Wonder Woman really look like she has implants? Shouldn't have naturally awesome breasts?

Anyway, that's the whining...


Today, I just got Clive Barker's Visions of Heaven and Hell from the library. It may be the single greatest book in the whole world. It's almost wholly filled with wonderful prints of his paintings. He does a small amount of writing on the themes he covers in his art.

It's so beautiful as to make me drool over page after page. It can't be a priority for me to buy right now, but I'll be taking a look at it every day for the next three weeks, taking inspiration. That motherfucker is way too talented. He's better than I'll ever be at everything I've ever aspired to do and he's better looking than me.

I want so much to create work with that much imagination. Sadly, we live in a world where people, as Tim Lucas notes in Some Thoughts on Peter Jackson's King Kong, hate because they are such joyless and unimaginitive imbeciles that they hate King Kong because they can "not accept the idea a woman could fall in love with a giant gorilla" and MirrorMask gets a limited release and still gets mostly shrugs from people who admire what it was trying but aren't ever lost in the beauty of the imagination of it.

That's not a world which will ever give as much success to the wonderful pure imagination flowing forth with more and more ideas...


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics