Friday, January 06, 2006

Forbidden Zone and such

If I even needed a reason, Tim Lucas has reminded me why I love his wonderful Video WatchBlog. In concluding his quite interesting review of the first set of Mickey Mouse Club DVDs, he concludes, "The next batch of MICKEY MOUSE CLUB shows can't reach my doorstep too soon. Till then, I guess it's back to my Jess Franco DVDs..."

Beautiful.


Anyway, I threatened to write about Forbidden Zone and so I shall. I'm not entirely sure where to start.

It grew out of a rather chaotic looking cabaret-style theater group call The Mystic Knights of the Oingo-Boingo (the answer to your question is "Yes, it was simplified down as a production and many members moved into the rock band Oingo Boingo). The idea was to capture that and it sort of continued to grow bigger from there.

It's a fully out-of-control blending of vaudeville, Flash Gordon, Max Fleischer cartoons, Alice in Wonderland, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and, uh, probably a dozen things I didn't recognize or catch.

Uh... From there I'm not sure what to say. Not that I couldn't say more. The musical numbers are all brilliant. Danny Elfman's Cab Calloway-styled Devil is a highlight. The set-design is delightfully cardboard and misshapen. Hervé Villechaize as the mighty King Fausto...

But what's the point? I mean, you read my description and either thought, "Where can I get this fucker?" or "Why is he telling me about this crap?"

The movie is almost perfectly what it is. If that appeals to you, go rent it right away. If it didn't, well, it probably isn't going to do you right. I can't see how it would.

Me? I need to own this movie and watch it every day until I die. Brilliance

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics