Sunday, January 08, 2006

I'm young now, I'm wild now, I want to be free

How is it songs have this power to make things sound better (or worse) than they are?

Take this.

I hate driving.

No, I don't not care to drive. I don't prefer not to. I don't dislike it. I fucking hate driving. Just the mere idea of it on its own here is making my neck tense and my teeth grind.

I just can't concentrate on a physical activity well enough to ever be adequate at driving on any sort of regular basis. It makes me anxious, trying to concentrate on a mindless task like that and not thinking about anything else, even less the 25 things that are always banging around in my goddamn head.

But if I hear "Chevrolet" by ZZ Top or "Thunder Express" by The MC5, I can just feel the energy of wanting to hit a long stretch of highway in a classic ragtop.

I know what the magic power. They're communicating their joy and I'm feeling the joy and the natural association is to the subject of lyrics. It's just an odd feeling.

As a side note, it's a good thing there's no strip clubs like the one I'm creating for my screenplay - or none here, at least - because I can easily avoid strip clubs, but I don't think I could keep from spending my last dime at this place to save my life. We'll see. I also need to keep myself from writing too much of its coolness at the expense of, y'know, the actual story I'm trying to write.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics