Sunday, January 01, 2006

Quiet Day With John B. and Zally


Sometimes I just have to remember how awesome The Lovin' Spoonful really... and today's one of those days, I guess. Even more remarkable is that they were only really in existence, in practical terms for 2 years. You try writing that many great songs in two years... And, no, I don't just mean "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?", "Summer In The City", "You Didn't Have To Be Nice" and "Daydream"... but the little songs like "Jug Band Music", "Rain on the Roof" and "Nashville Cats", small hits in their day and forgotten by an Oldies radio format that have a playlist of more than 40 songs at a time.

The sweet blend of the autoharp with Zal Yanovsky's bluesy rock guitar. The wonderfully evocative lyrics -

"Cool cat, looking for a kitty. Gonna look in every corner of the city, 'til I'm wheezing at the bus stop, running up the stairs, gonna meet you on the rooftop..."

"Determined to remember all the Cardinal rules, like sun showers are legal grounds for cuttin' school..."

"And now, a quarter of my life has almost past, I think I've come to see myself at last. And I see that the time spent confused, was the time that without you..."

"She's one of those girls who seems to come in the spring. One look in her eyes and you forget everything, you had ready to say, and I saw her today..."

"I've been listening to my radio for two or three years, and the music they've been playing is so doggone bad that it's offendin' to my ears!"

"I was just thirteen, you might say I was a musical proverbial knee-high, when I heard a couple new-sounding tunes on the tubes and they blasted me sky-high. And the record man said every one is a yellow Sun Record from Nashville and up north here ain't nobody buys them, and I said, but I will!"

"You and me underneath a roof of tin. Pretty comfy feeling, how the rain ain't leaking in. We can sit and dry just as long as it can pour, 'cos the way it makes you look makes me hope it rains some more."

"I have been walking on my streets so long. I would keep walkin', to keep from goin' home. Couldn't quite clearly conceive of you, now I can't conceive of ever leavin' you..."

"Somehow my finances grow, from the interest I show, in the interest is gives me. Now, a piece of paper from me, won't seem half as flimsy."

"I was standin' in artsy-fartsy uptown restaurant a few frozen dinners ago, when I stumbled on a waiter carryin' Crepe Suzettes and I run out the door flambeau..."

"And we'll go dancin', baby, then you'll see how the magic's in the music and the music's in me..."

"I'm blowing the day to take a walk in the sun, and fall on my face on somebody's new mowed lawn."

"Tonight we'll find a dune that's ours and softly she will speak the stars until sun-up..."

That was too many, but I'm not cutting any.

Anyway, it's great stuff. I've probably covered that before, but, seriously...

It's nice for a groovy little day. I need to call my mom and drink a few cups of coffee.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you decipher the chorus to the song "Pow" by the Lovin' Spoonful?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics