Friday, January 27, 2006

Yakuza Papers


I chose to watch Battles Without Honor and Humanity, which is the first in The Yakuza Papers series. It was an interesting movie, although I can't say I'll be rushing to see the rest of the series.

It's a true story, more or less. It's been too long since I read my Yakuza history to have any recollection of how accurate any of it is... assuming I ever read the specifics of some parts of this story. I suspect watching this in Japan would be similar to watching Roger Corman's The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, which is something I highly recommend one does, for an American. There are names, Bugs Moran, Peter Gusenberg, Jack McGurn, that ring a bell and you kind of know some spotty details of what happens, so the movie sort of fits somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, when you don't have that head start, it's a little hard to follow, even though some of the scenes and character interplay was really good.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics