Saturday, February 04, 2006

More Grinding

I must say that when I first heard about Grind House, I really expected to see some more interesting "grind house" genres that haven't been made since that era rather than takes on two genres we've seen time and again just in the last few years. This seems, at this writing, to merely be the Tarantino/Rodriguez horror anthology, which is, I suppose, fine in itself.

It's just that there are so many "lost" exploitation genres from that era and zombie movies and slasher movies are nothing if not well represented at the box office these days. If I were doing this project, the closest I'd come to "horror" would be doing something in a giallo style...

... and if "slasher" was all I'd heard of Tarantino's, I'd hold some hope that was really what he was doing, but it doesn't so much sound like it, from what I've heard.

Honestly, the fake trailers they're doing sound more like the genres I was hoping to see them shoot for, Blaxploitation, Kung Fu, Swedish sexploitation... You know what I'd really like to see, a Tarantino Women in Prison movie, especially in this format. An hour would be plenty of time to tell all the story even the best one has, especially with all the extra dialogue he'd undoubtedly include.

Rodriguez, on the other hand, I don't think has any particular skill at writing for grown-ups. His two best grown-up movies are From Dusk Till Dawn and Sin City, neither of which did he write.

I think if Rodriguez's career has proven anything, it's that he's a big edgeless soft-hearted dork. That's why he writes just great for "The Misbehavers" from Four Rooms or Spy Kids. I think he just needs a Tarantino or a Frank Miller to give him the edge to make adult action fare. I think he likes it, but is ultimately too well-adjusted and kind to dig that kind of stuff out of his soul, which must make him a great guy to know...

... but a '70s "grind house" style zombie movie should owe more to Lucio Fulci than anything and I just don't see how he'll manage that.

I'm sure I'd see any movie these guys put together as an anthology and I'd certainly see an anthology they made specifically dedicated to horror. I just thought this had the promise of something more... and more importantly, something different and I'm disappointed that, the more I hear, the less I think it will be either of those things.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics