Thursday, February 09, 2006

Movie Notes


Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit was wonderful. Absolutely delightful in every way. For better or worse, it was so perfectly joyful that I feel there's little I can say.

Here, I'll quote the opening paragraph of Roger Ebert's review, "Wallace and Gromit are arguably the two most delightful characters in the history of animation. Between the previous sentence and this one I paused thoughtfully and stared into space and thought of all of the other animated characters I have ever met, and I gave full points to Bugs Bunny and high marks to Little Nemo and a fond nod to Goofy, and returned to the page convinced that, yes, Wallace and Gromit are in a category of their own. To know them is to enter a universe of boundless optimism, in which two creatures who are perfectly suited to each other venture out every morning to make the world into a safer place for the gentle, the good and the funny."

Indeed.

I also found Jim Jarmusch's Broken Flowers absolutely beautiful in a transcendent sort of way that leaves me with little to say about it. This is one of the reasons I'm a better blogger than I would be a critic. If I were on a deadline to write so many words, I suppose I could say something more, but sometimes the transcendence and the feeling is really what's important about the experience.

I will make note that sometimes I do things like ponder if I could get the things I like best about Broken Flowers and the things I like best about Switchblade Sisters into the same movie. At those times, I'm forced to realize, I will never be an incredibly commercial filmmaker.

That wasn't meant as pessimism, by the way. If I ever pull it together, I think I can be something much more interesting and that's what I'd rather be anyway...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics