Thursday, March 16, 2006

Marebito


Godard is often quoted as saying the best way to criticize a movie is to make another movie.

I think to criticize Takashi Shimizu's Marebito, I'd have to actually write a novel. In fact, watching the movie, my mind wandered in that direction a few times. Not, mind you, in that mind wandering away because a movie doesn't work way, but rather in the very uncommon movie requires you to think constantly and leaves glorious moments to consider the ideas contained inside it.

In his short review, or perhaps preview, Next Week's Must Buy, Tim Lucas compares it to 2001: A Space Odyssey, if somewhat reservedly, because "it's an oblique picture, full of unresolved mystery, and utterly void of human warmth - which means it's bound to alienate a certain percentage of its audience."

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that the movie is so focused on the act of viewing and recording events that it will register much stronger with hardcore movie buffs much more than for the general public, at least in general terms.

I'm quite sure I could not capture all that I thought about this movie here. I can only recommend you take a look for yourselves, your thoughts will be your own, but they could be as interesting. And, for the record, the novel that was gestating in my mind, and is quickly dissipating as I write this, bore little direct resemblance to this film. Oddly, it did somewhat resemble Tetsuo: Iron Man, the most famous directorial work of it's star, Shinya Tsukamoto. I don't know if that means anything or not.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics