Sunday, April 02, 2006

2001 Maniacs


I'm honestly not sure what to say about 2001 Maniacs.

I'm a big fan of Two Thousand Maniacs! by H.G. Lewis. In fact, it may be the best movie out of all of his gore cycle. Mind you, I haven't seen most of them in a while, so I won't make the argument right now if you feel differently, go right ahead.

I'm almost tempted to quote Roger Ebert's Basic Instinct 2 review, where he says, "I cannot recommend the movie, but ... why the hell can't I? Just because it's godawful? What kind of reason is that for staying away from a movie? Godawful and boring, that would be a reason."

Unfortunately, 2001 Maniacs isn't quite godawful enough to warrant that kind of review. In fact, it's not even nearly godawful enough.

However, it isn't really good enough to recommend either.

And yet, I enjoyed it.

Not as fully as I would have if it had been made 20 years ago. Fake boobs have utterly destroyed my ability to properly thrill in movies that part of the drive to continue watching is to see each of the actresses doff their tops. I just can't be driven to wait for the moment that the women show off their doll parts. Sorry.

Which leaves us with the energetic performances by Robert Englund, Buck from Eaten Alive, Lin Shaye, from - well, dozens of things. You'll recognize her, I swear. - and genuinely funny cameos by Eli Roth and Travis Tritt as well as the actual killings. I'll recommend the performances over the killings, but the killings are certainly amusing, for lack of a better word. And I can't deny the movie has an energy about it. Not quite the energy of the original, but I'm not sure that could easily be matched.

I'd love to be able to highly recommend this, but I really can't. I can't claim I wasn't entertained the whole time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics