Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Brick


I love Brick!

I love Brick in a way that I wish I'd thought of it first.

The concept of teenagers who walk around, walking, talking and fighting like characters in a hard-boiled detective story is wonderful conceit. It's also one of those concepts it would have been easy to completely blow. If the characters had for one moment seemed to not fully inhabit their own world, it would have played out as an exercise in style.

Writer/director Rian Johnson keeps the characters so involved in their own world and the problems within it that there's no time to wink at us. The actors deliver the dialogue as if they'd been talking in that style their whole lives.

I could get into my couple of nitpicks if I wanted to go into spoiler territory, however that would miss the point, which is this movie fully engaged me, it grabbed ahold of me and dragged me along from beginning to end, leaving me feel completely satisfied by the ride. Smart, funny and even real, in its own peculiar way.

This is a great movie. It's not quite like anything I've seen before and, as such, is exciting and inspiring.

I wish I made it... and more than ever want to make something as good.

Check out the trailer, which may be the best trailer I've seen in the last five years. Just excellent.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics