Friday, May 26, 2006

Early Scorpion thoughts


I watched Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion the other night. It's quite interesting little movie. While it might not go very far in expanding the story elements of the revenge or women's prison genres, however Meiko Kaji is an incredibly compelling presence and the direction by Shunya Ito, I'm tempted by comparisons to Mario Bava and Sergio Leone both, is bold and exciting. And, while it does have its rape scenes and other arguable misogyny, it seems equally, if not more, excited to dish violence and cruelty (even sexual violence) against men.

So, that leaves me with what to say about Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41, the second movie in the series. I know part of my disappointment is how much less vibrant the Image DVD is in comparison to the DVD Tokyo Shock put out of the first movie. It did some interesting things with story structure, including a strangely fairy tale style sequence in the middle, and continued the bold styling. I must say, it felt somehow too much of the same. I can't quite put my finger on why.

Perhaps one shouldn't watch too many movies like this in close proximity. That said, I do have Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion: Beast Stable waiting and Scorpion - Female Prisoner #701: Grudge Song on the top of my Netflix queue, and look forward to seeing them soon.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics