Sunday, May 21, 2006

Funny Ha Ha


Funny Ha Ha was one of my friend Jo's favorite movies of last year. I can't say it did the same thing for me.

It has a similar low-key energy to Steven Soderbergh's Bubble, which I recommended more strongly, (and, as such, in a more roundabout way to Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse, which I found intriguingly similar). And while I found it lacking the same resonance for me, I still recommend seeing it for that spare, slice-of-life tone.

Maybe it's just my need for something more out-of-the-ordinary of things, which both Bubble and Pulse did deliver. Funny Ha Ha keeps its slice-of-life all through story and tone. The actor's were unusually good for a movie this small feeling and gave a real empathy for their aimless unhappiness.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics