Friday, May 12, 2006

Notes from offline

I've been away, as some of you may have noticed. A combination of Lakeside issues, partial coverage is available at the Lakeside Production Diary, and some home Internet problems. I know that many of you have spent recent weeks crying.

The movie is going well overall. I think my vision is hiding in the footage there. I'm pretty committed to the notion that I won't do this again without having a bigger budget. It just makes everything more difficult all around raising money every moment, not to mention being unable to reward the wonderful hard work being put in by a cast and crew that's probably more talented than I am... or at least experienced enough to demonstrate their talent more easily at this point.

Anyway, I've been watching a lot of weird Euro-genre stuff, mostly from Mondo Macabro. I'll try to get around to reviewing a few of those when I get more online time. Suffice it to say, it has caused Netflix to recommend me a lot of movies on gay rights. You know, because watching Girl Slaves of Morgana Le Fay means one is very, uh, concerned about all things lesbian.

I was just getting to Jess Franco, Marquis de Sade's Justine just arrived from Netflix, when I'm informed by Tim Lucas's blog, Sus obsesiones son mis obsesiones, that today is, in fact, Jess Franco's 75th birthday. Weird.

This won't be my first experience with Franco, but my previous experiences have been rather unsuccessful, although not even as memorably unsuccessful as many others. To be honest, I can't even recall what movies I watched. I will report in days ahead how that goes.


My brief thoughts on Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis: It does make a couple of nods to Dan O'Bannon's brilliant Return of the Living Dead, but offers nothing like continuity. The zombies here are relatively easy to stop and look very much out of a Lucio Fulci movie. It is kind of like Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys investigate the Umbrella Corporation from Resident Evil. I found it an amusing diversion. I mean, really, I've watched some genuinely bad zombie movies in the world and this one, well, would've been the best episode of episode of "The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries" that didn't have Rick Nelson.

My friend Jo sent me this link, This would have been easier if I could draw, in regard to objectifying women in comics. It's very well done. I'm not sure the covers that's the target of this parody is as representative as this article suggests... It seems a pretty extreme, and not very good, example of a Frank Miller cover.

And I'd buy that Green Lantern issue pictured there in a second.

Here's the DVD Maniacs review of Anchor Bay's Dellamorte Dellamore DVD. Yeah, sorry, kids, it probably makes me a pretentious twit, but I fucking hate the title "Cemetary Man" and refuse to use it except to acknowledge its existence. "Dellamorte Dellamore" is a beautiful poetic title that captures everything the movie is about. "Cemetary Man" is, well, nothing. It's a terrible, "What artless thing can we call this movie that will attract artless masses to rent it?"

So, yeah, I was maintaining hope that Anchor Bay would break the U.S. tradition and call it by its real name. Nonetheless, I am excited about a good quality region 1 DVD.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics